7/27/12

Happy like a pound puppy

photo: thedailydog.wordpress.com


Happy like a pound puppy

I was in third grade…
lots of stuff happened by then,
to me and my family
We were safe in the nest of grandparents, one day
They lived in the back house ~ us up front
under their watchful eye
But mom needed to break free
So she took us away
I was born Linda Eleanor Del Nagro,
pronounced:  Nay – gro
The Negro with an “e” got changed to a Negro with an “a’
in the thirties (for apparent reasons)
by relatives I never knew
Life was hard enough on kids back then
and for me, too ~
in third grade
I learned how to spell it
Capital “D” – e – l   then   Capital “N” – a – g – r – o
I wrote it with a cursive swing,
at the end
Then during summer break on a summer day,
Mom got married again (between third and fourth)
So I became someone else
I was kind of glad (of course)
because the other kids called us Niggers
I was happy a little bit for a little bit
Again I spelled my name ~ but different
Capital “C” – o – r   then   c – o – r  – a – n
There, that’s settled
Happy like a pound puppy
in a new home
in fourth grade
with a new name
different but still the same
for a little bit,
anyway

ldn 


No comments:

Post a Comment