5/20/12

Baby, Baby, I was born this way

photo: my mother, Lois Jean, and me


Baby, Baby, I was born this way

I’m a hoarder by trade
Baby, Baby, I was born this way
Hoarded as a kid too,
had a hole in the wall by my bed – top bunk
We had to have bunks – 4 or 5 to a room
Anyway, everyone knew – don’t mess with Linda’s hole in the wall
I kept secrets there, stuff I didn’t want to share,
Some things are private you know, or should be
Bubblegum – rabbits feet – things sweet – like candy I stole from the store
(Sometimes more)
I dreamed of a room of my own,
It didn’t happen until I was grown – and out
And I mean out!
Once you kids are 18, you either move out or pay room and board…
Oh, Lord.
She had 9 kids – 5 girls and 4 boys (raised us alone)
Back to the choice – pay up or leave home
She worked three jobs (when she was lucky – two)
I stole from her tip bag once too
The guilt was too much – I couldn't bear it,
and being a hoarder of course I didn’t share it
What a Lady, my mom – she was the best
She loved us to death – every last one of us
I can still hear her. . .
Wake up. Get dressed.  Eat your breakfast. Get on the bus!
She never made a fuss about the little stuff
My Mother.
Oh Lord.
I miss her so much

ldn

1 comment:

  1. WONDERFUL, LINDA! simply beautiful. LOVE. Ash

    ReplyDelete