5/31/12

My Birthday Poem


photo: me and my mother (to whom I owe my strength, and my life)

(Last poem for a while - after 146 poems in 61 days, I am now on sabbatical)

My Birthday Poem

Okay, so this is it:  June 1, 1947.  Time 5:37 a.m.
It’s a girl!
I think I was supposed to be a boy…which is probably why I wanted to be one
Third girl.  No son.
Strange world, all big and everything
Too much room
I want my Womb!
Anyway, I’m stuck here now whether I like it or not
I considered the alternative, I gave it some thought
C’mon, we all have, don’t lie
I fantasized – what if I died?
What would they say at my grave?
She was a good old gal.  She gave it her all,
picked herself up when she took the fall
Instead, I forgave – every last one of them (mostly men)
C’mon, everyone has a past – you have yours,
your dad had his and your mom had hers
Last person on my list to forgive was me
Linda Del Negro.  It’s a girl! (Number three)
I tried my share of substitutes,
but eventually I found my truth
It wasn’t pretty but I made it through
So today I say to myself – to you,
Happy Birthday, Linda!
You did good
Now I love you too 

ldn

2 comments: