5/7/12

The Red Bible



The Red Bible

In the Second Hand Store this morning
(like I don’t have enough stuff)
In walked a nephew, his wife and their Aunt,
very distraught
Ear bent I caught. . .
I accidently donated my Aunt’s Bible. . . May first, he said
Aunt, with tears in her eyes and hand on her heart – It was red
Wife – It’s 30 years old in a zippered black case
Clerk – Look in the books
Not a trace
High and low I searched
Aunt’s voice about to break – my amplifiers were in it,
I use them in church every Sunday
It went missing on Monday
Tuesday, May first  – what could be worse?
I envisioned him stacking old books
packing red Bible forgotten
somewhere in a box on the bottom
Thirty years, her Bible read
My heart bled
Down on hands and knees I looked
In dust choked corners, on every nook
No Holy Book
What else could I do – I had to take part
and hunt for the Aunt with her hand on my heart

LDN

No comments:

Post a Comment