5/9/12

Naming a Baby




Naming a Baby

I named a baby yesterday
Here I am,‘just looking’ in Marshalls for a gift
for a comfortable quilt for a friend
She’s sick
I picked out a soft one ~ big enough to wrap her little body in
I almost bought a white linen sheath, tight, silk lined underneath
Don’t ask me why (it was a long time ago)
Actually, I wanted to look like the pretty lady in a photo
She had glossy hair that bounced
I settled on a hippie shirt, a tiger print skirt, and a sheer black blouse
from the clearance rack
Side tracked – I’m back
Checking out
Clerk in training – me waiting
Boss Lady assisting – Would you like to open a charge?
You’ll save 20% off your purchase today
She was not insisting, so I said, okay
Boss Lady– it won’t take long
White lie – I have all day
Ten minutes later, (she was wrong) nervous clerk worked,
Boss Lady – You have a long last name. Fifteen letters, Del Negro-Daniels, hmmm. . .
Clerk in training, voice breaking, shaking
To ease things a bit for the clerk having the fit
When I got divorced I took my birth name back
Boss Lady – I wish I would have done that,
but now I’m happily married
What was your birth name?
Miller – I was raised by my Grandfather
I should have carried his name on, in his honor
Last name now?
Tiff
Well if you have baby, maybe you can name it Miller  
Chin drops in shock – I’m pregnant now!
Wow!  Boy or a girl?
It’s a boy. . .
Miller?
Stares at me – We couldn’t decide – YES! YES! MILLER!
And your husbands name?
Sean
Miller Sean Tiff?
Her I am soooooooooo excited!
And of course, I am absolutely delighted
We said it out loud
Miller
MILLER!
Miller Tiff
MILLER TIFF!
Miller Sean Tiff
MILLER SEAN TIFF!
MST
M – S T !
Whoopee!   I named a baby yesterday
My lesson again – patience is a virtue
If I had not stopped and shopped for a gift for a friend,
because she’s sick
Boss Lady/Mother would have not have picked,
her baby boy's name  – Miller Sean Tiff
For everything there is a reason,
a time and a season for everything under heaven, on earth
and for the birth of little Miller Tiff
If I had not stopped to shop, or if I had broken down,
bought the tight white sheath, silk lined underneath
Well?
What if?

LDN

No comments:

Post a Comment