4/18/12

Agates

photo: bccottages.fatcow.com

Agates

Microcrystalline silica
It’s Greek to me*1
except when I find them on our rocky shore
by our house in front of the sea
My husband corrects me,
It’s called ~ The Sound
It still sounds Greek to me
Whatever – I’m going down . . .
Are you coming?
Before he can answer –
I run tripping
slipping beach glass into my pocket
It doesn’t take rocket science to chase down beach glass
rubbed raw from the sea (The Sound)
creating soft wedges where once wore sharp edges
Bottles broken – jars thrown over boats
a token from the Sea, excuse me – The Sound
He gloats!
With his Agate, the prize
He’s got better eyes
My excuse for running ahead
Impatient with rocks in my head
He strolls ~ finds another
I watch him (my rock-head undercover)
Down in my Hood*2
And I won’t admit he’s good
or that I envy him,
the way he slips in and out weaving driftwood on the shore
I just need to learn not run anymore
He gives them to me ~
a present from his Presence
Down ~
on the shore in front of the Sea
I mean, The Sound


LDN
* 1 "It's Greek to me": It may have been a direct translation of a similar phrase in Latin: "Graecum est; non legitur" ("it is Greek, [therefore] it cannot be read"). This phrase was increasingly used by monk scribes in the Middle Ages, as knowledge of the Greek alphabet and language was dwindling among those who were copying manuscripts in monastic libraries.
* 2 Hood: slang for Neighborhood: and often implies to a ghetto or urban community. Also short for hoodlum.

No comments:

Post a Comment