4/11/12

Wildflowers




Sometimes I drive to the place where I will be buried
and toss wildflower seeds in the fields around,
listen to crows chant – You are a wild child too yunno.
The old Scandinavian Cemetery on Skagit County Line*
where worms dine,
where grass grows tracing mossed markers into wrinkled faces,
where spirits sing your name...
Don’t kid yourself - you belong here too.
Forget about races.  You may be Mediterranean
but buried here - you become Scandinavian
We’re all the same here, Kid! You fit in. We all do 

in caskets of pine or mahogany velvet lined
depending on the economy or if your children dug deep
into pockets of tears saved for you, even if
you will be buried with Scandinavians,
six feet under freshly fallen snow on Skagit County Line
where crystal rain to rusty buckets go
where crows chant to souls in waiting,
anticipating, the place where wildflowers grow

LDN



* Skagit County Line (pronounced ska-jit) borders Snohomish and Skagit County, just about "dead" center between the area where my children grew up and where I now "live".

2 comments:

  1. That's such a great first line to a poem...

    I'm borrowing it, I hope that's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I do - drive to the place where I will be buried, and spread wildfower seeds in fields around...did it today, actually.

    ReplyDelete