4/17/12

Tenterhooks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenterhook

Tenterhooks*1

I'm on tenterhooks waiting for a word that someone heard about my mother
I knows she’s there flying by night above clouds hovering
She always hovered
Hooks stretching her center
Cloth on bent nails, her tenter
It wasn’t hard to tell she was there
Green eyes glaring through glass eyes narrowed -- --
Trying to hold her gaze I’d stare back silently
Move to her other side, quietly
Hide under heavy lids covering my lies
Lips tight from hooks pierced into edges torn,
worn in one sentence ~ “Don’t you dare!”
She knew you were there all right!
Where have you been all night?
Ummmm
Look at me
(You can’t crook a cop)
Stop!
Okay, what?
Time’s up
Go to your room - and clean it while you’re there
I rarely got in trouble because I could barely stand
under the weight of lids sopped with strings of lies
or from her eyes holding steady, disappointed, tight lipped, staring into my soul
somewhere where the conscience abides,
the place she rested her hovering on ↔ through our eyes,
somewhere when I go flying by night
searching for my mother covering

tenterhooks above clouds ~ hovering

Good morning Mom

Linda #3 (of 9)

*1 Tenterhooks inspired by me saying to my daugher, Jane this am. "Im on tenterhooks waiting to hear the conversation you and Ella had re: Granny and my dad, Angelo" (their conversation is a poem in waiting.)

*2 Oh my! This poem was written at 9:19 this morning. My daughter, Gena, who, like me occasionally dips into the next world - told me when I stopped by her Beauty Shop, (Eastside Salon) to give her a BIG "welcome home, I missed you" hug. "WAIT!" ( I was headed out the door) "I have to tell you something...I had a dream last night; I accidentally called Granny from my cell phone. She answered in her usual, HELLLLLLLLLO! I said, GRANNY! She exclaimed in her HUGE husky voice - GENA! How are you? Gena replying - I'm fine, how are you? I'm FINE!" (I knew she'd come around) Nothing is accidental...everything in life has a purpose

3 comments:

  1. This has all the makings of a full blown elegy. I love how it moves into and out of a single remembered image in the middle. It'd be really awesome if you incorporated some imagery to go along with "tenterhooks" because the word is so cool. - something that had to do with cloth or wool or stretching, or even being pierced by the hooks themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn you, Aaron - sometimes I hate you - like any dedicated student "sometimes" hates their teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh! "hooks stretching her center!" nice.

    ReplyDelete