4/20/12

On a Tangent







http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangent#Tangent_line_to_a_curve


On a Tangent

My husband thinks I’m on a tangent
He’s right
Tangent meaning:
A contact on a straight line ~ or element

traveling the curve ~
I am then ~ on a tangent
Circling around a cylinder
up, then down,
again and again
I am the single point that meets the curve
A calculus equation for which I need an explanation
Anyway, I’m the red dot
See diagram above
I mark the spot
and sometimes "I do" feel insane,
but I’m not
Let’s pretend for a moment (for what it’s worth)
that the Line is Time

Earth, the Dot
and the Curve is God
Who of course has no beginning or end
That’s what the Nuns taught me in school
I wanted to see for myself if it was true,
so I’d walk home from St. Mary’s,

every day,
lie under a tree,
(I was seven)
check on Nuns to be sure,

(who of course came from heaven)
I wonder why they wore black?
(Sister Mary, I take that back)
squint my eyes until they blurred,
go as far as I could into my head,
rather than taking their word for it instead
I wanted to see for myself
if the sky was really blue
and if God had no beginning or end
I questioned the Nuns time and again
(Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned)

A tangent I'm in

~ ȱ ~

ldn

No comments:

Post a Comment