4/11/12

The Iron Curtain (for Russia)

photo: trekearth.com




The Iron Curtain
5th grade
Drill
Paint chips on sills
Tall windows slammed
Shamming pencil leaded kids
A BOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMB
I-----Want------My------MOMMMMMMMMM
Playing dead
under classroom seats - year after Cold War year
I was afraid of you
Russia
Felt HOT to me
down there.
Who were you sticking up?
Why was I picking up my water gun
in case it wasn’t a test run?
I pledge allegiance to the American Flag,
and our President with a Capitol “P”
Saluting the resident who lived somewhere in a white house
as I crouched under my classroom seat
who I was told would protect me
from the Iron Curtain
and not connect me
to children I couldn’t see
who I was certain
came from Russia

LDN

1 comment:

  1. Luv it; my mother taught women from Latvia to speak English and never charged them; the truly looked Babushka - like-long suffering in their faces as they spoke of "husbands lost behind the Iron Curtain," and I - very young, imagined a large iron curtain on rods all across Russia!

    ReplyDelete