4/16/12

Blue Cuticles

photo: melindasbackups.com

Blue Cuticles

I remember a lot because I dug through the crap to find the memories hidden beneath
I see things others don’t see because I’m a tree
I hears voices in my head before I fall asleep 

teasing me
I crumble and weep inside floods triggered 

from childhood in third grade being called a Nigger 
Did they see black circles under my eyes and blue moons under my cuticles?
A sign your blood line came from Africa
where children ran naked and mothers' breasts flopped
Barefooted scavengers wearing black hair, cropped
Mine was curly too
So I straightened it, reversing the waves 

that came with triggers, then flooding
from the time when I was a child
when someone engraved upon my soul, lies        

with judgement from skeptical eyes 
upon my skin, and on the blue moons
under my cuticles, within

Linda del Negro 
ldn




No comments:

Post a Comment